Thursday 21 December 2017

Da Helly Nichts


I've been having the most amazing Secret Santie experience I could ever imagine. 


That might sound a lot like one of them inspirational 'You won't believe this magic secret' things but bear with me. Cause this is real, and I can't make money from telling you about this, unless you actually click on the adds. I monetised this blog years ago and have made 32p. Rolling in it.
 
 Anyway. 


Back to Secret Santie, yes, Santie, not a typo, that's what we call him up here in Shetland. And that is an extremely important point in this story, as my Secret Santie has not just given me gifts, no, they have led me on a continuing journey learning about the past traditions, beliefs and practices in Shetland around Christmas time, or should I say Yül

I always knew there were the Helly Nichts (Holy Nights) but I didn't really know anything past that. Then, on Wednesday 13th of December, a letter and parcel arrived for me at my work. And that's when I began my journey of discovery, and it's so awesome and cool, and the folklore it's about is so awesome and cool. So let me share everything I've learnt with you so far:

Wednesday 13th of December - Maunsemas Nicht
An envelope arrived at work with a parcel. Cause it's the season I got excited and opened the card. Thinking to leave the parcel for the big day. Then the card explained it was my Secret Santie and knowing how much I love Shetland and love folklore in general, they were going to teach me about Shetland Folklore by focussing on the eight Helly Nichts in Shetland, starting with that very night 'Maunsemas Nicht'. During which we celebrate the light by burning a candle. In the card were instructions to open the parcel and light the candle inside. So I did so, burnt it good whilst looking at this awesome picture of our oldest god Sea Midder (Sea Mother) they had also included in the parcel because she's the best.


I then expected that every night Secret Santie must deliver my package to work. But no, I was to be surprised each and every time... 



Monday 18th December - Tul-Yas-E'en / Helya's E'en
After a heavy night of drinking for my brother and my friend's birthdays I opened my handbag to find chocolates and a card... FROM SECRET SANTIE. Honestly we were drinking at house parties this person is sneaky. Anyway the card said open on the 18th, so I hid it so I wouldn't open it a day early, lost it in the house and then managed to find it at an Iron Maiden 2 minutes to Midnight.

This may be one of my favourite of the Helly Nichts as Tul-Yas-E'en is the night when trows, and I quote:

"were free to leave the heart of the earth and dwell, if they so pleased, above the ground."

The card also gave many enchatments and rituals from years past in Shetland to protect yourself from these hill folk. And for anyone who doesn't know what a trow is, it's like Shetland's version of the Norwegian Troll, but only about 3 - 4 foot in height. The card even included a painting of one, check this out:


They are often described with three eyes. Awesome.

Tuesday 19th December - Helyas Nicht or Tulya's Nicht
Comes directly after Helyas E'en. I went to my improv rehearsal and when I walked in there was a card and parcel waiting for me. GHOSTS. No, Secret Santie, you sneaky babe you. I got home before I opened it, made a giant meal of tattie mash and beans cause I'm 28. Then opened it. And it was about Helya's Nicht, when you put blessins on the bairns in the house and everyone eats a special bowl of hot milk and oats.


Well I was staapit fuu (very full) from my beans and mash, but in the parcel was a kit to make a very special bowl of hot milk and oats with all the chocolate you can imagine. So I ate more in the name of the Helly Nichts and was blessed. 

You should be able to read the blessing to give the bairns in this photo, otherwise, if it's unclear, blame Apple:



Now the next night is the one night I really know about Tammasmas, it's the most holy of the holy nights. However, I didn't know why or what you do, and now I know, I swear, I will always take time off to honour it as is the Shetland way, let's all do it. First, let me tell you how I learn how it's done, because this is the best Secret Santie move by far.



Wednesday 20th December - Tammasmas E'en

I left work in a hurry to get to the car and was accosted by a strange creature in the car park. A person (or Norse God cause that does happen) completely disguised, in this case as an old woman. We call them guizers in Shetland (disguised folk not old women). Anyway I got a gluff and then, well this is the conversation. They put on a funny voice so I was not sure who it was. I have my thoughts.

Guizer: Are you Marjolein?

Me:...Yes.

Guizer: I hae a present fir dee.

Me: From who?

Guizer: Da muckle man we da reindeer

(Then I looked and it was a bag full of parcels, I was thinking it was for me to deliver to someone else so I said)


Me: 
Who are they for?

Guizer: 
Dee 

Me: 
All of them?

Guizer: Yes

(To which I couldn't believe the amount of parcels and I screamed OH MY GOSH into their face in a way I've never heard my voice ever sound)

Me: OH MY GOSH


Now, bairns, if you ever meet a guizer the protocol is to be kind, welcoming and offer them things, not scream in their face. Especially in case it's a Norse God in disguise coming to join in in the party. They love a dram.


So back to what Tammasmas is:

It's the holiest day, it's the shortest day. Tammasmas E'en is the day before, the 20th, which is the last night before the shortest day. Now, what you need to do is set down whatever work you're doing before the sun sets on the 20th. As you should not work between sun down on the 20th and sun up on the 22nd, cool yeah, get's better. To observe the Holy Day you should drink ale, for ale is a sacred drink, so don't work and drink ale. 

Also I recieved a parcel of home made biscuits of an old Shetland recipe. They're shaped like the sun and baked and eaten in honour of it's return. 
The tin no longer looks this full cause Dad found it.

And so now, that's us in Tammasmas Nicht. Enjoy yourself, have a beer, do no work till the sun shines again damoarn and celebrate the lengthening of the days. 


Seriously let's all take it off next year.

And there's still more Helly Nichts to come! 



I'll write another blog post and explain them as I encounter them, with more details of who these nights are named after. I know I didn't do that this time but there was too much back story and too much ale cause Tammasmas. Cheers for the red cans! Cheers Tammasmas!



And cheers to aa o dee!



If you want translations for any of this write in comments below. x


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this little insight into Shetland tradition. I've had a great solstice celebration tonight as well. Bring on the Sun. Xx

    ReplyDelete